What is Functional Nutrition?
Functional nutrition is deeply steeped in functional medicine, a health care practice that attempts to understand and resolve the underlying root causes of imbalance and illness in the body. Functional nutrition is at the core of the functional medicine approach for the prevention and treatment of disease, emphasizing diet and lifestyle changes, and nutritional supplements. Lab testing may be used to determine root causes and to guide treatment.
The goal of functional nutrition is to reestablish a healthy equilibrium in the body, so you feel well and have the confidence to maintain healthy food and lifestyle practices.
Please keep in mind: as a functional nutritionist, I am NOT a doctor. While I can work collaboratively with you and your other practitioners, functional nutrition is not a replacement for conventional (or alternative) medicine.
Why would you need to see me?
- You have symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, burnout, weight gain/weight loss resistance, depression, anxiety, but your conventional doctor says everything is normal.
- You suspect thyroid issues, but have been told everything is fine.
- You just don’t feel yourself, but all your blood work from your doctors come back “normal”.
- You have chronic constipation, bloating, belly discomfort or heartburn, but aren’t sure why.
- You’re wondering how food and diet can make you feel better and/or if you’re eating the right diet for you.
- You read a lot about food, diet and health, but need some help discerning how to prioritize this information.
- You feel like you’re not being heard by your current healthcare practitioners.
As a functional nutritionist, my job is to listen. I want to hear your story. I want to unearth exactly what is going on. I want you to understand that it’s not “all in your head”, even if you’ve been told exactly that.
I see the work that I do as a functional nutritionist as the best of both worlds...I can bring in modern science and objective measures with functional testing, but I also rely on the listening ear, my intuition, and my relationship to the client.
If this sounds like something you're looking for, functional nutrition might be right for you!