Always on the hunt for a decent bar that doesn't have weird ingredients or tons of sugar, I came up with this. Lots of protein, fat and fiber to make it a proper snack. And a minimal amount of sugar. (If you want to the low down on sugar - is it really that "bad"?? - check out the latest and greatest from the Funk'tional Nutrition Podcast.)
If you're dibble-dabbling in the low carb thing or if you're full-fletched keto, you can reduce the coconut sugar to 1-2 Tablespoons and add in 6 or so drops of liquid stevia extract. Either way, these bars aren't very sweet.
Low-Sugar Grain-Free Granola Bars
Makes 10 bars
- 1 extra large egg, or two smaller eggs
- 1/4 heaping cup nut or seed butter (almond butter, sunbutter, cashew butter, peanut butter, tahini, etc.)
- 5 Tablespoons gelatin (NOT collagen. The gelatin makes these slightly chewy. Collagen will give them a different texture. I have no idea if it will work or not.)
- 4 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 Tablespoons melted ghee (I used this vanilla ghee)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut chips
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
Place first 6 ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the next three ingredients and pulse until mixed through.
Line a 9x9 glass baking dish with parchment paper. Transfer mixture from food processor into dish and press down using your hands.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from over and allow to cool. Cut into bars (makes 10 bars) and store in an airtight glass container. You can also package them up individually in parchment paper to grab as an on-the-go snack.
- 235 calories
- 13g carbs (6 g sugar)
- 18g fat
- 11g protein
Other snack recipes you may like: