Toddlers. Eye roll. They go through some weird food phases, huh?
A while back the Hattster decided she wasn't really into veggies anymore. Such a flip flopper, that one. Luckily for me, she'll eat just about anything if it's covered in cinnamon (kid loves the stuff - she walks around smelling like a graham cracker despite never eating one in her life). So I pulled this gem of a recipe out of my back pocket and started making it on the reg.
I LOVE this recipe for myself, too. Oatmeal is probably my favorite breakfast of all time. Unfortunately, oats affect me in a similar way that gluten does, so I really don't eat them at all anymore.
But I love me a bowl of porridge, and that's exactly what this feels like!
This is a great breakfast if you:
- cannot tolerate eggs
- cannot tolerate grains
- are on the autoimmune protocol
- are on any type of liver detox and want to up your cruciferous veggie intake
- are looking to get more veggies in your face
- are a psychotic toddler
Veggie-Packed Grain-Free Porridge
- 2 cups packed cauliflower rice - about 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 cups coconut milk (I used homemade coconut milk, you could also use almond milk, hemp milk, etc.)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3-4 medjool dates, pitted and chopped OR 1/3 cup raisisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (homemade or canned - you could also use roasted sweet potato or squash)
- 1-2 Tablespoons REAL maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)
Break cauliflower up into chunks, then add to food processor. Pulse until you reach rice-like consistency. Transfer into a saucepan, then cover with coconut milk. Add coconut, dates, cinnamon and vanilla. Bring to a light boil, then stir. Reduce heat to low and cover, allow to simmer about 10 minutes (or until cauliflower rice is soft).
Stir in pumpkin puree and maple syrup, cook 2 more minutes. Add extra milk if needed.
Serve in a bowl, topped with sliced bananas, berries and chopped pecans (not AIP).
When giving to Hattie, sometimes I'll stir in a scoop of grass fed ghee for a nutrient boost. You an also stir in collagen peptides for protein.